Thursday, November 22, 2012

Play of the Day: The Laramie Project

  I don't know much about theatre, so this should be a quick note with just my thoughts on the play. I went last week and saw my school's performance of the play The Laramie Project.

Basic Premise: The Laramie Project is a play about the reaction to the 1998 murder of University of Wyoming gay student Matthew Shepard in Laramie, Wyoming.

Verdict: I thought this was quite an interesting play. Obviously, it brings to attention the issue of anti-homosexual discrimination, which I strongly believe should be ended immediately. It does a really good job of showing that the goal isn't even necessarily that everyone should be completely okay with homosexual relationships and such, it's more... Live and let live. Some really cool techniques that I hadn't seen in a play before, such as multiple reporters talking at the same time or one person singing while the narrator speaks. I also thought the format of interviews of the townspeople was really inventive. Some scenes were also really moving, certainly. Certainly worth watching if you can see a performance, and I hear it's a movie too, so you might check that out. I'd say this was an... 8.35/10. (Yay for arbitrary and oddly specific scores!)

No comments:

Post a Comment