Monday, September 3, 2012

Fall Film Forecasting


Been looking through the movies coming out before the end of the year, and I thought I might share the movies for which I'm really excited. I won't watch all of them in theaters, of course, but maybe a few of them. These are in no particular order. 

Excited for:
Wreck-It-Ralph - Not much of a gamer at all, but from concept to execution this looks incredibly cool.
Cloud Atlas - I definitely like The Matrix, albeit not as much as some other people, and I hear terrible things about the sequels, so this movie, written and directed by The Wachowskis, could go either way. But, hey, Tom Hanks, and an INCREDIBLY intriguing trailer.
The Master - Latest Paul Thomas Anderson movie (of There Will Be Blood fame, which I really liked, and some other strong credits to his name which I have yet to see), and the trailer has me interested.

EXTREMELY Excited for:
Looper - Joseph Gordon-Levitt AND Bruce Willis AND time travelling AND having to kill yourself? Count me in! Can't wait.
Argo - Seen this trailer twice now, and I'm really intrigued. I haven't seen any Ben Affleck-directed movies yet, but I hear interesting and very positive things about his directing style, and the story is both interesting AND true. I'm really interested, I have a good feeling about this one.
Flight - Denzel Washington, and that trailer. Nuff said.
Django Unchained - Tarantino is easily one of my favorite writers and directors; a lot of his movies are some of my favorites of all time. I realized that Tarantino's writing had gotten a lot less... self-indulgent... in Inglourious Basterds (although Tarantino's self-indulgence is often one of the best things about his movies); it made for a really interesting and powerful movie, and this looks to follow the trend. Also, Leonardo Dicaprio I really don't like usually (no nuances), but he might just restore my faith in him with this movie, from the looks of the trailer. Heartthrob Leo, a villain? This I've gotta see.
Killing Them Softly - I'd heard nothing about this one before today, but Brad Pitt's in it! Brad Pitt's a fantastic actor, one of the best, and I hear this movie got a ten-minute standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival. TEN. MINUTES. And Ray Liotta's in it too. And the plot sounds great.
Lincoln - Spielberg, Daniel Day-Lewis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and inarguably one of the best presidents America has ever had? Sounds like a winning formula if ever there was one.

This is a great season for movies. Have I mentioned I'm excited? No? Well, I'm excited.

5 comments:

  1. YOU LEFT OFF "THE HOBBIT". ERMAHGEEEEEEEEERD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't put that on there yet cuz I've never seen Lord of the Rings...

      Delete
  2. Yeah The Hobbit will likely be the biggest film this Fall. No Skyfall or Rise of The Guardians either? Hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm sure The Hobbit will do really well. I'm dedicating this weekend to Lord of the Rings to fill that huge gap in my movie knowledge, but you've just revealed another; I've also never seen a James Bond movie. Skyfall looks interesting, though, very stylistic. I should fill that hole sometime soon as well. As for Rise of the Guardians, it looks good but after this year I'm a little wary of animated movies. Nothing has come out that really makes me faithful that this won't be the same as all the others. Let's hope I'm proven wrong.

    ReplyDelete