Saturday, September 8, 2012

Movies of the Day: "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and "The Apartment"

  My joy at seeing two fantastic movies in one day is boundless. Both of these I'd probably add to my list of favorites (which is almost, if not over, 50 movies by now).

  Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Such fantastic writing, and directing, and acting, and everything. I've been meaning to watch some movies written by Charlie Kaufman, and I finally got around to this one, and it did not disappoint. Such a unique movie, and it's seldom seen that a high-concept film has such brilliant execution. Just so... nice. 9.75/10

Favorite line: Probably "Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a f***ed-up girl who's lookin' for my own peace of mind; don't assign me yours." Really gets to the heart of things, don't it?

  The Apartment: After being introduced to Jack Lemmon's wonderful acting in Some Like It Hot, the previous Billy Wilder movie I had seen, I just had to see this, another Lemmon-Wilder collaboration. And WOW. I think this is easily the best Wilder movie I've seen to date. Double Indemnity was good, Sunset Blvd. and Some Like It Hot were great, but this one takes the cake. Such airtight writing, such great character development, such perfect casting and directing and acting. One must not overlook Shirley MacLaine's performance. There were points where I was literally yelling at the screen or gasping or ooh-ing out loud, and it was wonderful. And I was so emotionally invested in the characters. Suffice it to say, Wilder has a permanent place on my list of favorite writers and of favorite directors, if only for this movie. 10/10

Favorite line: Ooh, toughie. Probably have to say... "That's the way it crumbles, cookie-wise." So much character in that line, emotionally and vocally.

2 comments:

  1. Watch Howl.

    And get rid of this captcha stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already watched Howl, like a full week ago. You would know that if you would stop talking about anime and LoL long enough for me to get a word in edgewise. I dunno how to get rid of whatever captcha stuff it is you're talking about.

      Delete